Scabbard and Blade Marker
Carleton Watson Angell
1925/2011; Bronze, Stone; Artifact
Central Campus; Base of Central Campus Flagpole
Gift of the Michigan Chapter of the Scabbard and Blade, a Tri-Service military honor society, in recognition of the local chapter, which was founded in 1923 by nine senior ROTC cadets, whose names are also on the plaque. The plaque reads: “Michigan Chapter—Scabbard and Blade—F Co. 4th Regiment—Founded March 5th, 1923,” followed by a list of names of the founders.
The original plaque (first thumbnail) was installed in 1925. Eighty-five years later, in 2010, the plaque was stolen and not recovered. A replica was cast and installed in 2011 (second thumbnail).