Law Library

The Law Library’s reading room is located within the Law Quadrangle on central campus. Designed in the English Gothic style, it is one of the most recognizable buildings on campus. It was built between 1924 and 1933 by┬áthe architectural firm York and Sawyer, with funds donated by attorney and alumnus William W. Cook.

The U-M Law Library is maintained and administered as a part of the instruction and research operation of the Law School. The Library’s purpose is to build collections, provide effective access to legal information in diverse formats, and provide facilities and services to support the teaching, research, and educational needs of Law School faculty and students. The Law Library’s collections, services, and policies are primarily designed to benefit Law School faculty, students, staff, and scholars in the Law School’s research scholar program. The Library also welcomes others who need to conduct legal research, including University of Michigan faculty, staff, and students, as well as attorneys, researchers, and the public. For more information, contact askalawlibrarian@umich.edu.