The Audubon Gallery
The Audubon Room provides an accessible, secure, dedicated space for some of the greatest treasures from the Library’s collections. In fact, the Library marks its formal beginning with the purchase in 1839 of John James Audubon’s The Birds of America (1827–1838), a collection of hand-colored prints that are as scientifically accurate as they are beautiful. The Board of Regents paid $970 an immense sum of money at the time for the 435 plates. In addition to ongoing exhibitions, the Audubon Room includes a custom-designed case for the permanent display of Audubon’s masterpiece, a page of which is turned weekly. The gallery is open to the public.