Lydia Mendelssohn Theatre
Located within the Michigan League on Central Campus, Lydia Mendelssohn Theatre is an intimate, shoebox theater seating nearly 600. Decorated with solid oak paneling that creates an atmosphere of elegance and charm, Mendelssohn is used extensively for theatrical productions and solo recitals. The theater, which opened in 1929, was designed by the Chicago architectural firm of Allen Pond & Pond, Martin & Lloyd. In 1995, new carpeting and seats were installed, and the proscenium curtain was replaced. Its lighting equipment is modern. Mendelssohn is one of the few theaters in the United States to have a “cyclorama,” a curved wall at the back of the stage. The cyclorama improves sound in the theater and can be used for creative lighting effects.