In his 41-year career at the University of Michigan, Robert C. Metcalf produced over 150 building projects in Michigan and Ohio. A new retrospective exhibit, “Constructing the Modern: The Work of Robert C. Metcalf Architect,” examines many of Metcalf’s most compelling works.
Metcalf, a Michigan-based modern architect, is the Emil Lorch Professor Emeritus of Architecture and Urban Planning and Dean Emeritus of Architecture and Urban Planning.
The exhibit runs through December 13 at U-M’s Taubman College of Architecture and Urban Planning Gallery, 2000 Bonisteel Boulevard, Ann Arbor.
Between 1950 and 2008 Metcalf oversaw a concentration of built work in Ann Arbor representing today a highly impressive body of modern architecture paralleling the works of other notable architects from the post war period in the United States and abroad.
For the first time original notes, correspondence, sketches, photographs and architectural drawings produced by the office of Robert C. Metcalf Architect will be exhibited providing a broad and detailed view of the work produced by Metcalf himself, along with Tivadar Balogh, Gordon Rogers, William Werner, as well as other University of Michigan alumni.
Primary source material used in the exhibit is from the Robert C. Metcalf collection housed at the Bentley Historical Library at the University of Michigan.
Above right: Mr. and Mrs. Millard H. Pryor” house, Ann Arbor (1958)
8.5 x 11 inch color rendering – drawing attributed to Tivadar Balogh
Robert C. Metcalf Collection, Bentley Historical Library, University of Michigan
Above left: “Mr. and Mrs. Kenneth Patterson” house, Ann Arbor (1956)
8.5 x 11 inch black and white photo – Unknown photographer.
Robert C. Metcalf Collection, Bentley Historical Library. University of Michigan