In conjunction with the Fall 2023 Theme Semester: Arts & Resistance, Stamps Gallery is partnering with the U‑M Arts Initiative to expand the 4th annual Respond/Resist/Rethink student art exhibition. All undergraduate and graduate students of all majors enrolled at the Ann Arbor, Dearborn, or Flint U‑M campuses in Fall 2023 are invited to apply to this juried exhibition that explores what can be done to create more just and equitable futures in the 21st Century and beyond.
The 2023 exhibition will include art of a variety of mediums and will be displayed in four galleries across all three U‑M campuses, including Stamps Gallery (Central Campus, Ann Arbor), Duderstadt Center Gallery (North Campus, Ann Arbor), Riverbank Arts (Flint), and Stamelos Gallery (Dearborn).
The arts play a central role in shaping cultural and political narratives. Artists, designers and creatives of diverse backgrounds have been at the forefront of social change by offering alternate models and ways of thinking, making and creating that do not perpetuate dominant regimes. Creative processes have been used time and again to reveal under-told stories and to resist simple narratives. Regardless of one’s personal politics, an artwork’s potential to change hearts and minds is urgent and necessary. Respond/Resist/Rethink invites students to leverage their creativity to (re)imagine what they can do to create a more just and equitable community in the spaces that they inhabit.
Call for Work
Open to Undergraduate and Graduate students at any of the U‑M campuses (Ann Arbor, Dearborn, and Flint) enrolled for Fall 2023 Semester.
Applications of artwork will be accepted in 2D (including, but not limited to drawing, painting, illustration, poster, photography); 3D/sculpture (no larger than H- 34″ x W- 56″ x D- 28”); and 4D formats such as video, animation, gif, or performance that Respond/Resist/Rethink and/or reimagine the question: “What can we do to create a more just world?”
Applications will be accepted starting on August 15 through September 18, 2023. Submit your application HERE.
- Applicants must be currently enrolled undergraduate or graduate majors at any of the U‑M campuses (Ann Arbor, Dearborn, and Flint), enrolled for Fall 2023 Semester.
- Eligible students may submit one work (2D, 3D, or 4D).
- The second round of applications will be accepted from August 15-September 18, 2023: check back then to submit your work.
- A selection committee composed of students, faculty, and staff from across U‑M will review submitted work in the weeks following the deadline.
- The exhibition will take place from November 3 – December 9, 2023
If you have any questions, contact Kathryn Grabowski-Khairullah, Arts Initiative Program Curator.
Respond/Resist/Rethink: An Exhibition of Student Art for Change is co-presented by Stamps Gallery and Arts Initiative in partnership with the Duderstadt Center Gallery, Riverbank Arts, and Stamelos Gallery.
- DIY Typography Workshop - September 10, 2023
- Respond/ Resist/ Rethink Celebration at Stamps Gallery - November 3, 2023
- Respond/ Resist/ Rethink Celebration at Riverbank Arts, Flint - November 10, 2023
- Towards Inclusive Practice: Japanese Papermaking Workshop - November 12, 2023
- Respond/ Resist/ Rethink Celebration at Stamelos Gallery, Dearborn - November 16, 2023
- Respond/ Resist/ Rethink Celebration at Duderstadt Gallery, Ann Arbor - November 29, 2023